Topps Tiles is the UK’s largest tile specialist with over 310 stores across the country. Our plans for growth, and desire to grow our market share, mean we continuously seek new and fresh talent to complement our current team, as well as developing our people to reach their full potential.
We are currently looking for a Financial Controller to join our Finance team. This is a highly visible and critical role within the Finance function and this opportunity is ideal for an ambitious individual looking for a challenge in an exciting and fast paced environment. This is a hybrid role and whilst you will sometimes be required to be in our Support Office in Leicester, you will also have the opportunity to work from home.
Reporting into the Director of Finance, you will take responsibility for the running of the company’s financial accounting & property accounting function including statutory reporting, balance sheet reconciliations, store cost accounting, tax & treasury functions, fixed asset additions, and analysis of key control accounts.
Customer / Strategy / Plan
- To work with the Director of Finance and rest of the senior finance team to ensure that key aspects of the company’s financial accounting processes are appropriately administered and information is available in a timely fashion
- Close off the company’s ledgers within agreed timescales and ensure that all key balance sheet control accounts have been reconciled and approved on a monthly basis
- Ensure there is an open communication with the Financial Planning and Analysis team around the period end accounts preparation – including any areas of judgement involved in the balance sheet and helping to understand key P&L variances to budget
- Ensure robust financial processes exist to support the integrity of reporting and ultimately safeguard the company against loss (e.g. balance sheet recs, bank recs, etc) and that regulatory processes are complied with (HMRC, Companies Act, etc)
- Be the primary point of liaison with company auditors, with responsibility for new accounting developments (regulatory or audit best practice).
- Leadership of the financial accounting team and ensure that appropriate discussions are taking place across the team in terms of individual performance (“the what”), developments needs/opportunities, and appropriate behaviours (“the how”).
- Wherever possible, strive to develop colleagues and (in conjunction with the Director of Finance) offer opportunities for career progression, subject to their wants/needs
- Work with the financial accounting team to ensure that we are meeting their wants and needs as individuals (the “get”) and that we are getting the most from them (the “give”) – have a daily focus on colleague engagement across the team and support the Head of Finance with the department engagement agenda.
Financial / Commercials
- The Financial Accounting team are responsible for the accounting in the following areas; Fixed Assets (including capital expenditure), daily cash reporting, banking facility management, point of contact for bank’s relationship managers, foreign exchange requirements, corporation tax (with support of external partners as require) and property accounting (including FRS16 leases accounting).
- Work with auditors to ensure subsidiary statutory accounts are produced within the required timescales
- Ensure that the Director of Finance is well appraised of the company’s financial position – current working capital and cash position and short term forecasting for these measures.
Risk and process
- Ensure appropriate processes exist within the finance team to identify key areas of risk and agree with the Director of Finance appropriate plans to manage those risks. Key areas will include (but are not limited to) – segregation of duties within the function, key colleague dependencies are regularly reviewed and identified, bi-annual review of core department controls (supplier setup, bank signatories, expense approvals, capitalisation policy, expenditure by supplier etc)
- Work with auditors and external parties to ensure that core accounting controls are appropriate and consistently implemented
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Qualified accountant, 5+ years PQE
- Strong technical accounting knowledge
- Strong communication skills – both on a 1:1 basis and in a group environment
- Experience of operating at a senior functional level – managing the team day to day
- Good working knowledge of accounting systems – general ledger, purchase ledger, sales ledger, bank recs, EDI, etc
- Good working knowledge of core finance processes – balance sheet reconciliations, tax, VAT, intrastat, FX planning, working capital management and understanding of PLC reporting requirements
- Good working knowledge of external audit
- Good working knowledge of broader regulatory environment – corporation tax, PAYE, VAT, statutory accounts, LSE requirements
- Experience of reporting year-end report and accounts
- Previous accounting practice experience, in particular within audit
- Knowledge and experience of Microsoft Dynamics
- Experience of liaising with external providers – banks (including covenant certificates and other areas of compliance), auditors
For further information please contact Beth.Sutton@toppstiles.co.uk.
Please note we will not be engaging with agencies on this position.